Prospective PhD Students
The objectives of the PhD in Computer Science by Coursework and Research program are to:
- Build human resource capacity in the area of computer science in both the public and private sectors,
especially in universities;
- Develop research capacity in the areas of computer science so as to improve research and innovations
output in the country and region
- Address the increasing demand for PhD holders in the areas of computer science
- Provide masters holders with potential for PhD with opportunities to develop skills in formulating,
conducting and presenting their own scholarly research through the production of a research-based
dissertations and publications.
- Foster initiative and potential for independent self-study that will develop the students’ motivation and
ability to continue updating their knowledge and skills after completion of the course of study in relation to
scholarship and research.
- Enable the students to be able to demonstrate a critical awareness and reflection on research-based
information as a basis for problem solving and practice in professional contexts.
- Enable students to be able to demonstrate ability to interpret and report research findings in areas
relevant to their field of study.
- Equip students with research and publication skills to enable them publish research from high quality
dissertations in reputable journals and/ or presentation of their research findings at academic conferences
Graduates from the program are expected to have a high level of competence in one of the research areas the program focusses on. At the
same time, the program focuses on equipping students with skills in
- Technical writing and presentations
- Research project writing and management
- Advanced Research Methodology